Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Jay Bryant: Iowa Expat


clouded
Jay Bryant





What kind of creative work do you do?

I am an art director/designer for a living, often working on design storyboards and concepts for television and film, but work across a wide range of media and am constantly shooting photos and drawing (or doodling) in my sketchbooks.

iphone3-01
Jay Bryant


How did living in Iowa impact you as a creative person?

It wasn't until I got a bit older and lived away that I realized how great my public education in Iowa was. I was able to experiment and try a wide range of creative things from elementary school on through high school. My elementary school art teacher bought a super 8mm camera and assigned us projects in which we learned aniamtion techniques and created our own animated films. In middle school through another art teacher, I had the opportunity to teach one day art/cartooning classes at elementary schools, and in high school, we not only had art classes that were great, but also commercial art and photography. I was also fortunate to have parents that signed me up for classes at the Davenport Museum of Art and took me to the public library on a regular basis . . . all of which had a huge influence on me, as did my older brothers and sister, who I remember all seemed to be above average at drawing.

fallen-fruit
Jay Bryant


iphone3-03
Jay Bryant


How long have you lived "abroad" And where do you live?

I’ve lived in Seattle since 1994, so about 17 years, but I also ventured out to New York City for a brief period after graduating from Iowa State University, and also lived in Rock Island, IL for a couple of years in the early 90s.

iphone3-15
Jay Bryant

How does where you live now foster your creativity?

Seattle has a large and wide ranging creative community, including multiple public radio stations, artist cooperatives, an active music scene, interesting food and small shops and galleries. Plus, I think the rainy winter weather here makes it easy to stay in, drink coffee and work on creative projects . . . and I currently work out of my house fulltime.


Are you working on anything right now that you are excited about? What is it?

Nothing currently, but I recently finished my third LP/CD package and screenprinted poster for Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, an excellent Seattle band. I am also hoping to launch a photo blog featuring my own work some time in the new year and hope to produce some photo books, as well.


iphone3-20
Jay Bryant

How can people find out more about you?

My website is http://www.purposeco.com/ and I also have a blog called aesthetic interlude (http://www.aestheticinterlude.blogspot.com/), in which I post work by others that I find interesting or inspiring.

waffle-house
Jay Bryant

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Just some great words to live by from Charles Eames:
“Choose your corner, pick away at it carefully, intensely and to the best of your ability and that way you might change the world.”

4 comments:

  1. Jay Bryant is not only incredibly talented, he's a great thoughtful inspiring person. It's an honor to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. When I lived in Seattle, Jay was a constant source of inspiration in not only art but...life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew Jay in college and saw some of his work then. One memory of him that stuck with me was that he crumpled up and threw away a piece of art that a couple of us thought was quite good and worth saving. Jay said was not satisfied with it, and I realize now he was simply holding himself to a standard he understood even though some of us present did not. Happily for Jay and for those of us who get to see his work, today he produces work that he--and many others--think is worth keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images, I especially adore the top one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you!